Sunday 26 October 2014

Raze and Ruin - The Aftermath

Well, it's been over a week now, and Raze and Ruin 2014 is done.

From a personal viewpoint I think it went incredibly well. Everybody seemed to have a great time, and there were no major organizational headaches. The only problem was caused by not having a spare player for Sunday other than myself, as drop outs left us on odd numbers. Whilst this meant I got to play some Warhammer, I think it took away from my overall role as TO a little more than it should have. This is definitely on the list to sort for next year!

I'll be going through some of the feedback in another post, and I shall also be taking another look at the comp to see if it can be tightened up any more. But for today, I'd like to take a look at the results and see what can be gleaned from them.

To start with, here are the main awards that were dished out at the event:


1st - Zach Martin (Wood Elves)
2nd - Terry Pike (Daemons)
3rd - Jake Corteen (Lizardmen)

Best Painted - Russ Veal (Daemons)
Most Sporting - Steve Slatford (Goblins)
Hobby Hero - James Boots (Daemons)



King of Sponge Mountain Award for Last Place - Christian Moore (Ogre Kingdoms)
Roadkill Award for Highest Comp Score - Declan Waters (Dwarfs)
Ultimate Filth Award for Lowest Comp Score - Martyn Furnival (Ogres)
Comp Breaker Award for Ruining Everyone's Weekend - Steve Slatcher (VC)


You may notice that there is an award for breaking the comp. I'll discuss this further in a future post, but Steve spotted a loophole that let him easily get to +20. I didn't feel that this was deserving of the Highest Comp Score award, so I decided to give him a one off award for his feat.


Here are the full results:


As you can see, it was close at the top! I plan to investigate how close. I want to look at what the results (or the top ten at any rate) would look like with various different sorts, and with some of the soft scores removed. I hope this will give some insight into how important some of these scores are.

Generalship

To start, a sort purely on Generalship.


Top 3 stay the same, so no change to the awards. However, below them the Top 10 looks rather different. Slatch drops 12 places to 16th, clearing the way for Darren Watson to finish 4th. Ric Myhill and Tom Robinson also make up a few places, but the biggest gains are the two Ogre players with horribly low comp scores. Mike goes from 17th to 8th, and Martyn goes from 26th to 10th. Ian Sturgess shows the strength of his all round game by only dropping a couple of places, and Russ Veal is unaffected in 7th.

Comp Score

Two different options here. Firstly I'm going to look at what happens if Comp Score becomes the first tiebreaker, rather than Generalship. This was something I was toying with before the event, but it was too big a change to drop on people without warning. Lets see what difference it would have made...


Very little to the top apparently! Declan Waters is the only mover here, jumping from 10th to 8th. As this only comes into play when the overall score is tied, you can see in the main list where it would make a difference. I think it's something to consider if this comp system is kept for next year, as it adds another encouragement to use a high scoring list.

The other thing to check with the comp score is what would happen if it was removed entirely. Would that make any difference?


Hmmm, very similar to the Generalship table from earlier. Zach increases his lead over Terry to 4 points, and Jake drops to 4th. Outside the Top 10, there are big changes, but mainly for those with a positive comp score as they lose the bonus it provided.


Sports

Always a sore spot with some people, and the soft score that perhaps made the most difference to the final placings. (Only 4 people dropped points for painting, and they were all for models not based.) Lets look at how the scores would look without the sports scores.


The biggest change here is for 2nd place. Terry actually loses out to Jake if those sports scores are removed. Who knew he was such a nice guy! ;-) There were a great many people getting points for sports, and whilst I think that some sort of sports scoring is a good thing to have I'm not sure if the system I put in is actually the best way of dealing with it. I'm sure that those who consistently got good scores for sports would disagree with this though!


So there we have it, the results for Raze and Ruin analyzed as much as I can think to analyze them. I'm still collecting any feedback, so if there is anything you want to say about the event please let me know - either by email, on TWF or on here. As I said in the TWF thread, I'd like to thank everybody who came and made it a great weekend. Hopefully we will see you all back for next year's version!

No comments:

Post a Comment